Click here for some pictures
Here is a link to the Kids Can Cook website for parents
Apple and Silver Beet Crepes
The key is to get the kids to make them as well. Crepes are easy and fun and you can fill with any filling – even leftovers!
1 Cup Flour
1.5 cups of milk
Silverbeet or Spinach, Washed
Mix milk and eggs, whisk into flour and leave to rest for 20 mins. If it is too thick thin with a little milk. Ladle into crepe pans and cook until golden brown, leave to cool. Mix Apple and thinly sliced silver beet together, and roll up into a tight cylinder. Slice and serve cold or heat by placing in the oven with a little cheese over the top.
TIPS AND IDEAS
· Plant silver beet and rocket as a never ending supply of greens in a small garden space
- Plant sensory gardens - rosemary, thyme, lavender - easy to look after and green all year round
· Get kids to mash potatoes that are left over from the night and add vegetables and turn into fritters
· Make Sweet crepes with berries or apples and cottage cheese.
· Grate any vegetable and eat it raw rather than cooking it
· Eat the pumpkin or Zucchini male flowers raw or stuffed with grated vegetables
· Use Breadcrumbs to help make sauces thicker or keep vegetable juices in
· Take a juicer to the kitchen and experiment with fresh vegetable juices (ie beetroot and apple, celery and ginger, pumpkin and orange etc etc)
· Make herb pesto’s and freeze in ice cube trays to use later in the year
· Put your kitchen work bench in the middle so that all can gather around and reduces the mess in the kitchen
· Use a potato peeler rather than a knife for cutting and chopping
· Have fun and smile in the Kitchen, it is all about giving it a go
Objective - “A Community of Kids feeding themselves."